Alex is serving from the Canton Michigan Ward in the Chiclayo Peru mission from October 2019 to November 2021.

Monday, December 9, 2019

Week #7 - La Union, Chiclayo - December 9, 2019

¡Buenos Dias!

So I landed in Peru on Wednesday.

 We spent the whole day in Lima after a good two hours of sleep doing boring visa and identification stuff. I was surprised that I didn't have any sort of culture shock; it's probably because of the other countries like Fiji and Costa Rica I've been to, so I already expected a lot of the weird things that happens. Also, those first couple days I had no idea what anyone was saying. I was wondering if they taught me the same language in the MTC. Now I still don't really know what's happening, but I can follow the conversations and sometimes chime in with my gringo spanish so I'm pretty much fluent now. 

The food is actually really good here, I haven't eaten anything yet that I felt I needed to force down. It's mostly rice and chicken so whatever. I also just now learned that currently I'm locked in the church building so we'll see what happens there.

Anyways, it's interesting because most people stop and listen to our message, probably because we're white. We already brought a family to church on Sunday so that's pretty cool. We've taught multiple lessons and contacts so we're very busy all week. I also have to get better at soccer because that's the only thing anyone plays here. And that kinda sucks because I hate soccer but it's fine.

One lady asked if we were prophets. I felt I should tell that cause I thought it was funny. And everyone here is Catholic, which actually makes it kinda hard because a lot of people are very strong in their beliefs and they'll try to argue with us sometimes. I just hope my Spanish gets better pretty quick because I really want to communicate with people instead of them asking me what I said everytime I speak. I'm sure it'll be ok, but for now the most I do is give out cards with Jesus on it and say: "Podemos darle un tarjeta de Jesucristo por Navidad."

So that's kinda what it's like here, I'm still locked in the church building, probably all day so...

Elder Dyal

 A welcome from President and Sister Balderrama after arriving in Chiclayo with his traveling group from the Provo MTC.

 New missionaries in Chiclayo Peru

 Welcome breakfast at President Balderrama's home

Alex's trainer and new companion, Elder Beazer

No comments:

Post a Comment