Alex is serving from the Canton Michigan Ward in the Chiclayo Peru mission from October 2019 to November 2021.

Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Week #9 - La Union, Chiclayo - December 25, 2019

Hey everyone,

Man, the last few weeks have been so incredibly hard. I know the beginning is always the hardest, and each week gets better. This last week has been a bit easier. I've been easing into everything a lot better. I can practically understand almost everything people say, at least the idea of what they're saying, but I'm definitely missing a lot of words. I have a harder time speaking. which is normal when learning a new language, I'm just happy I can understand a lot better now.

Our area is very small, but the members in the ward are tan fuego. They held an activity called a Noche Blanca at the church, and the week before it, we were extending invitations to our investigators and contacts in the street to come. When the activity occurred, we were a bit disappointed at first. But about an hour in, people just started showing up and there were so many people we ran out of chairs and we were scrambling to find some. Also, for whatever reason, some member dressed up as the Pink Panther and started walking around. I'm not entirely sure what that has to do with Christmas, but it sure was entertaining. At the end, our ward mission leader came out as Papa Noel (Santa Claus) and the bishop gave a message about Jesus. All in all, even though it was very different, we ended up with 6 new families who were interested in listening to our message.

It's insane how much food they give us here. They will give us entire plates of rice (which is extremely filling) then give us more beans, chicken, bread, then ask us repetitively if we want more food. They keep calling me flacito, which means skinny, so I've determined they're trying to get me fat. They think that's a good thing because if you're fat here, it means you're well off. It just kind of sucks that they're trying to make me fat cause I've always been able to pride myself in being lean. But I have a plan to stay skinny; none of the other missionaries think it'll work, but they don't know me. Just watch, I'll come back and still be skinny, that's a promise.

The other day me and my companion went on divisions and I was with the bishop for a family home evening. Since he was hosting and conducting the meeting, he asked that I teach the lesson by myself. I shared a scripture and gave my testimony of it. Afterwards, I was taking to one of the non-members there and getting their information. They were very talkative and I was understanding what they were saying and communicating with them for like 20 minutes. I mean obviously my Spanish wasn't good, but I walked out with my mind blown because that was the first time I had an exchange with someone for more than 2 minutes. 

Anyway, Merry Christmas everyone! I bet all your holidays are probably more festive than mine, but it's all good. I'll send pictures next week. I forgot my camera, but that means you'll get a lot of pictures to see next week so that's cool.

- Elder Dyal


Elder Beazer and Elder Dyal


No comments:

Post a Comment