Alex is serving from the Canton Michigan Ward in the Chiclayo Peru mission from October 2019 to November 2021.

Saturday, November 23, 2019

Week #5 - Provo, MTC - November 23, 2019

Hi everyone,

So I only have a little over a week left in the MTC and I couldn't be happier that I'm close to leaving. I don't hate the MTC but I'm just anxious to get out of this environment and start teaching people and use the Spanish I've been learning. I know the MTC Spanish is only the beginning and I will REALLY start learning Spanish in Peru and I'm excited! I haven't heard if my visa has come in yet which is kind of frustrating, but they told us they are getting our travel plans ready so I should hear about it soon. I will either be heading to Peru or temporarily reassigned in the states. It'll be ok either way. I'll only be reassigned for probably one transfer and I'm ok with that.

So my companion went to the high school in southern California that had the school shooting last week. His sister was in school when it happened. He was really shocked and had to take a day for counseling since he knew one of the guys who was shot. Crazy how stuff just keep happening after you leave for your mission. Time doesn't stand still and bad stuff still happens. He's better now though.

So this week, our MTC teacher was promoted so we got a new teacher. So that was pretty different. We had gotten use to his method so now just trying to readjust to a new style. But both of them are equally as good so esta bien. My Spanish is definitely getting better all the time. I can understand almost everything in the TRC practice teachings. I can't speak quite as well as I would like but I'm ready to learn so much more once I'm in the field. 

Hope you get the chance to watch The Christ Child nativity movie. We watched it in devotional a week ago and it was very powerful. It's released now so it may be in the gospel library or online on the church website. On Thanksgiving this week, we were told that a general authority is coming, but they didn't tell us who, so I'm excited to see who it will be. When President Uchtdorf came a few weeks ago, his devotional was so good and the spirit so strong that I'm anxious to feel that again. And I don't know if I'll be eating turkey this year or not, but I'll definitely be wearing the turkey hat that Grandma sent me! haha! It's crazy to think that Christmas is approaching because it doesn't even feel like it at all around here. I'm excited to see what they do for Christmas in Peru. I'll be arriving just in time to find out!


Anyway, if you couldn't tell I'm so ready to get out there and do some good. The MTC is fun but there's so much one can learn here, and I just think I will learn so much more when I'm out there! I'll send another email next week and hopefully send more pictures. I have a picture of my district I need to get a hold of and I'll probably take a ton more since it's my last week.

Elder Dyal  

With his MTC teacher that just left, Hermano Shumway

Turkey hat from Grandma

Goofing off with filters


No comments:

Post a Comment