Alex is serving from the Canton Michigan Ward in the Chiclayo Peru mission from October 2019 to November 2021.

Monday, January 6, 2020

Week #11 - La Union, Chiclayo - January 6, 2020

Hey guys,

So today is transfers, but I'm staying here in La Union and have the same companion, Elder Beazer. I'm glad because I feel like I just got here and still have work to do. Plus I feel like Elder Beazer and I are finally vibing, so that's good. 

This week has been pretty difficult because we've been having a pretty hard time finding our investigators. In fact there was one of our investigators that saw us walking by through the window, and he dipped. Like, ran off! He's not a small guy either, but he seemed to be able to run pretty fast when he saw the missionaries were coming. But yeah, a lot of little kids usually answer the door and when we ask if their parents are home, they'll run off to ask them what they should tell us. Then they'll come back and say their parents aren't home even though we heard them talking to them. And there was one guy that we contacted and when he came to the door, we asked him how he was. He said he was doing bad because we just impeded on his time and then he just walked away. I'm not complaining about these things. I actually think it's a little humorous, although sometimes discouraging. But this week has been pretty difficult because people have been pretty hard to find. Not only our investigators, but also those to teach.

One of our investigators works right next to our apartment so it's pretty fun to talk to him each time we pass by. He's a really awesome guy; his name is Eric and he's Venezuelan. He has a baptismal date this Saturday, and he's done everything that meets the requirements for baptism. So if everything goes well, I'll probably be doing my first baptism this Saturday! 

It's actually very interesting with the Venezuelans because there are a lot of them here. There was some political turmoil in that country, so Peru has been having a ton of immigrants from Venezuela and also Bolivia. The Venezuelans talk differently than those from Peru, it's a bit strange. They don't pronounce the ending of their words, and the Peruvians stretch out their words. For example, we'll ask people if they want to hear our message, and the Peruvians would say: "Estoy ocupaaado", while the Venezuelans would say: "Estoy ocupad." It doesn't really make any sense, but I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Anyways, I'm learning the language as well as the gospel more and more every day. It hasn't been easy, especially with the language, mostly because of the different accents. Makes it harder for me to recognize the words. But it will be ok. I do my best trying to study and learn as much as possible, so I'm confident I'll become fluent either way.

- Elder Dyal

 Elder Dyal with President and Sister Balderrama
(They are currently in his La Union Ward)

Elders in La Union

Meeting up with his MTC buddies

Pondering....???

No comments:

Post a Comment