Alex is serving from the Canton Michigan Ward in the Chiclayo Peru mission from October 2019 to November 2021.

Monday, January 27, 2020

Week #14 - La Union, Chiclayo - January 27, 2020

Hey everyone,

So sorry I haven't written the last two weeks! It's been super hard for me to have time to write. But here's a quick rundown of what happened.

So with my Spanish, I basically can understand pretty much everything people are talking to me about. Unless someone goes on a long rant, then I lose them after a while. But everybody's been telling me how great my Spanish has gotten since I first got here, so that's pretty good to hear. They tell me I can communicate and have pretty decent conversations with them, as opposed to just staring at them completely confused like I was doing when I first got here.

So the first week I got here (8 weeks ago now), there was this kid that I had an extremely powerful impression about. I gave him a Book of Mormon and the last two months we've been visiting and teaching him and his family. Unfortunately his parents aren't married, so that was a problem, but his dad was so close to accepting an invitation to be baptized because he recognized the spirit when we were in his house. And his son who is only 16 years (and the one I kept pushing my companion to teach), accepted a baptismal date. This kid had the strongest faith I've ever seen! Even though no one else in his family could be baptized, he wanted to become a member. He wanted to change himself for the better, and he told us he wanted to "unite with our church". Probably the most powerful thing I've heard so far on my mission came out of his mouth when we had a lesson on modern prophets and how we have one today. We showed him a picture of Russell M. Nelson, and I asked what his thoughts were on him. He told us, "I've never heard of him before. But I believe this book is true, so he must be a prophet." A few weeks ago, right before his baptismal date, he starting having doubts but we helped him through them, and he got baptized this last Saturday! His parents came to support him.

I've gotten used to everyone staring at me in the store, at church, and in the streets. Probably because I'm American, but also something totally new to me: I'm always the tallest person in the room! People always ask me how tall I am, and I don't know what to say because they don't use the measurement in feet here. I'll have to figure it out soon so I can shock everyone!

- Elder Dyal

 Benjamin's baptism day

 Selfie in the apartment mirror

 Another selfie .... ???

Study desks in their apartment
(Elder Dyal's is the one on the right)

More of the apartment...


No comments:

Post a Comment